After Spain ceded the Florida Territory to the United States in 1821, American settlers on the north side of the Cow Ford decided to plan a town, laying out the streets and plats.
They named the town Jacksonville, after Andrew Jackson. Hart, residents wrote a charter for a town government, which was approved by the Florida Legislative Council on February 9, 1832.
Augustine's position as the most important settlement in Florida was solidified. Johns River at a narrow point, which the Seminole called Wacca Pilatka and the British called the Cow Ford; these names ostensibly reflect the fact that cattle were brought across the river there.
However, Union forces captured a Confederate position at the Battle of St. Union forces retreated to Jacksonville and held the city for the remainder of the war.
In March 1864 a Confederate cavalry confronted a Union expedition in the Battle of Cedar Creek.
At the time of contact with Europeans, all Mocama villages in present-day Jacksonville were part of the powerful chiefdom known as the Saturiwa, centered around the mouth of the St. French Huguenot explorer Jean Ribault charted the St.
Johns River in 1562, calling it the River of May because that was the month of his discovery.